Saturday 30 October 2010

The list

I seem to have an inclination towards stupid and ambiguous titles. Because now, after DDD, I come up with this. I mean a title should be straightforward like Vulgar Display of Power. Do you remember? When you’ve heard that title you knew what to expect and when you listened to the album that was what you’ve got: a display of vulgar fucking power. Not to mention God hates us all.
 I don’t think anyone thought of love and little birdies when he heard that title. But with this list you don’t know what to think of. Because there are plenty of lists to chose from. There is, for starters your mother’s grocery list. Or in this period of year you might think of the list that is being checked twice by a certain old man from way up north with a sledge and a drunkard – hence – red-nosed reindeer. Or you are not interested in Santa but you heard about the Schindler’s list. You know Schindler don't you, the modern Noah who sailed the troubled waters of the Holocaust saving Jews in his arc. I’m sure you all heard about the Holocaust, Auschwitz, the meaning of pain. Another list that may – or may not – pop in to your head is the list the painter from Altamira had. Sadly he – or she, I don’t want to be labeled sexist on my second post, I should wait at least until my 15th- couldn’t read or write so he messed up big time, eventually ending up painting more bisons than the list stated. And while we are at this topic, you should think of the three year waiting list there is if you want to get in the cave from Altamira. But this is not your concern for the moment, neither is mine. You are concerned – increasingly so I believe – in finding about this list of mine. I am, on the other hand, concerned about my big mouth that is not letting me tell you all about my list. Which shouldn’t be such a big deal. It’s just a small list that I made with all the bands that I MUST see here in London.

It will function more or less like a guideline because there are many other bands that I would love to see but didn’t put it on the list. Mostly because it’s already overcrowded as it is. Maybe using my wedding invitation as a base for the list wasn’t such a good idea after all. Let’s put it this way: I will die a happy man if I will be able to attend these concerts but I would be happier if I could attend other concerts too. And I won’t be able to start attending them now, first I have to secure the material background for my London life and only after that can I begin removing the names from the list by attending their gigs. It is sorted alphabetically, I don’t like to sort the bands any other way, metal isn’t a horserace. I would like to say a couple of words about why these are the bands on the list. Probably the best concert I ever attended was an Apocalyptica gig so it seems natural to me to long for a repeat. And just to show you how easily dreams come true here I must tell you that the guys are playing in London nest Tuesday. Of course like I said before I can not attend it just now but I don’t mind for the time being. I waited for so many years to move to the UK, I can resist for a couple of months. I hope. Arch Enemy has a raw power that I must experience live. Blind Guardian seems to attract the best singing crowds and I want to be a part of that, although I don’t know about the quality of a choir that includes me. The shredding that surrounds Children of Bodom has long been appealing to me. I mean they shred their guitars, the keyboard, their voices, I reckon I could find something to shred myself if I were there.
I would like to see Dalriada in London because I truly believe they deserve to be here. They truly deserve to do a tour of the universe. I also believe that you deserve the opportunity to hear their music. Because their music is worth listening. I missed a great deal of gigs back home in order to afford to relocate to London, but the one that I regret the most – actually, the only one I regret – involves Dalriada and Korpiklaani playing at my favourite metal festival in the forests of Transylvania. So I would be really grateful to attend a concert where the microphone stands have antlers. About Lamb of God in one sentence: I want to walk with them in hell. When London was just a distant dream and I was just fantasizing about going to concerts here the band that came to my mind was Motörhead. I don’t know why, maybe because there was no sleep till Hammersmith or maybe there is a hidden, subconscious reason for that. Anyways, I want to go to a Motörhead gig, preferably at the Hammersmith Apollo, but any other venue would do, I am not picky. Although I am not extremely keen on power-fantasy metal bands I do like occasionally to answer their call and march in battle in the hope of eternal glory – and of course, the occasional brews. And when I answer the call, Nocturnal Rites is my band of choice. I am in debt regarding the guys from Sabaton, I was present at one of their concerts but just as a passive viewer so I must correct that and get in the crowd help overthrow the tyranny. The last band on my list although is a Hungarian band already played in London a couple of times so I guess it is obvious to assume they will be back. When they do, I want to be there, I guess they are the only real chance of seeing a Hungarian band in London, although I’d rather be wrong with this statement.

Phew, all done. All this just because of a list, what a waste of time.

Strike one
Strike two: 05-June-2011


Forever from Diabolus Dei on Vimeo.

4 comments:

  1. hey, are you still in london? This is a cool list and i wanna go!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes I am still here,I'm just not writing on the blog lately, but the list is going well, I need to update it as there are two more bands that I saw

    ReplyDelete
  3. awesome, when and what is your next show?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well, the next band from the list having a show in London will be Motörhead at the Hammersmith Apollo on the 12 November, followed closelly by Arch Enemy(06 December, O2 Shepherd's Bush) and then the next week Sabaton(16 December, KOKO). Sadly, for the moment I don't know if I will be able to attend any of these shows, it all depends on finding a new room to stay soon enough, does anyone knows a good place in St.John's Wood or Swiss Cottage? :)

    ReplyDelete