Friday 4 February 2011

Inkblots and other stains

Take a walk in London, at 4 in the morning and you’ll understand how Jimi Hendrix wrote one of his famous songs. Because roaming around at these early hours brings you across more foxes than people. I guess Jim had his fair share of early strolling and I’m sure his mind wasn’t as clear as mines,as the only addiction I have left is regarding fizzy drinks and, although they are known for many things, making you trip isn’t one of them.
Put Jimi on the streets of London in ’66 or ’67 and you get yourself a hit. I am not sure if all the foxes are ladies, as a matter of fact I don’t know if any of them is a girl but it seems that Hendrix saw the lady in them. They are just like us in many ways, some of them are pretty, others not so. Some of them are clean, or at least the seem that way while others are clearly dirty. Maybe some of them like metal but I guess most of them hate that bloody noise. There is even a fox who misses its tail, you have this bizarre feeling that he’ll turn to you and say something. With George Clooney’s voice naturally.
Supposedly besides foxes I should come across the ghosts of gutted whores and bitches, at least in this specific area where a hundred and some years ago a certain Jack was strolling the neighborhood. I am thinking of Jack, the Ripper of course who was active in this very area, it seems that we pin pointed our first home in an appropriate part of London. Anyways, I’m on the bus now, with no foxes only humans. Or is it the other way round?
I had this thought yesterday, to do a kind of a Rorschach test today, you know the inkblot test. If I may, I’ll run a quick Rorschach test on the test itself and fill you in about the first thing that always comes in my mind when I hear about this test. It is a joke. I mean, really, it is a joke and it goes something like this: A man is sent to a shrink for analyses, he is supposedly obsessed with cunts. So the doctor draws a triangle and ask him what he sees. – A cunt – comes the reply. The doctor thinks about it and concludes that it isn’t actually that hard to think of that when seeing a triangle. So he draws a circle but he still gets the same response. He admits it to himself that a circle could lead one to think of a hole and consequently… So he draws a square. The answer comes: it’s a cunt! –Man – says the doctor – you are really obsessed with them! Me- replies the patient – you are the one drawing nothing but cunts! With today’s smile done let’s proceed to more serious stuff. I had this testing idea at the Booth memorial, as I instantly thought of John Wilkes Booth but I shook this idea instantly off as people of this fame never get a memorial,. They never get statues either although houses or places that are heavily related to them do get the occasional marble sign with carefully composed texts. Hitler’s birthplace has one, warning people that those kind of things shouldn’t happen no more. I’m sure the next person who intends to be a blood covered dictator with a plan to conquer the whole world – or at least those reach in oil – will go visit Branau am Inn, read the inscription, read it and weep, freak out and change his plans for the future. He or she might even end up as a serious contender for some kind of peace prize. Bottom line: there is no memorial for these evil characters, even if they played a vital role in history. For example, the above mentioned Booth: if he’d failed to do his deed then Ulysses S. Grant wouldn’t have been president, or at least not in time to make his appearance in the movie Wild Wild West. Imagine the loss!
I wanted this test to be about everything I see outside names, signs, anything that catches my eye. Spot something and write down the first thing that comes in my mind. But the first thing that came in my mind when thinking about this small test of mine was ”stupid” so I won’t be doing it. I’ll just enjoy the view instead.

I enjoyed the view for a while, but then two assholes boarded the bus, sat in the back and bullied a person back there I guess although I’m not sure. They were really loud and menacing. One of them shouted “Bang!!!”, overshadowing my music, then he did a couple of more bangs, at each of them all the people that were sitting in the front would visibly tremble. Luckily they got off now. What if they would pick on me? Not a nice thought. Back to the view.

Here I am on platform 5 trying to write whilst standing on my feet. I guess it’s not that easy as reading this way. I think it’s not that trendy either, it’s not a powerful statement as reading standing up or better yet, reading while walking. That really shows a commitment towards literature. But that doesn’t matter now, as I am standing right next to the train just drooling at those comfortable seats inside. Twenty some people are waiting here, pairing up before doors but there are some of us who have an entire door for themselves. Locked doors that is. Normally we should be on the train by this time, but not today. Maybe this is some kind of Buddhist patience test rather than human clumsiness.

Finally, we are in the cozy seats and the speaker states that we are going towards the place where we actually are. So be it, if they say so, maybe we were teleported. Is that a service where one can use its Oyster card?

spiral from Diabolus Dei on Vimeo.

1 comment:

  1. I guess you're right!
    Thanks for the comment anyway, it's the first. You got to start somewhere.

    ReplyDelete