Thursday 3 February 2011

Sunjail

As I was boarding the train today on my way home the sun was beating in my eyes. It was still bothering me after I sat down. This was new as it didn’t really showed its face lately, which – of course – is a good thing. I hate it when it shines that way, I hate it even more in the summer when it shines and is also hot. So here’s another small thing to bug me.
Come to think of it, this wasn’t the first time that the sun bugs me here, it did happen before a few times. Strangely enough it always happened in the same place, just before East Acton. At first I didn’t know where to put it until I realized that it’s shining on Wormwood Scrubs. Her Majesty’s Wormwood Scrub Prison. I am absolutely sure that it shines here to make it harder for the inmates who are craving after sunshine or those who hate it just like me. Either way, it is surely a form of subtle torture. It is unknown though why it is done, because there could be two possibilities. The first one is that the guards are doing it because nowadays they aren’t really allowed to hurt the prisoners, especially after the trials from trials regarding excessive brutality. So they make the sun shine in there, thus satisfying their desire to make the inhabitants feel uncomfortable.  The other explanation could be that they are doing it because the inmates aren’t having a real hard time like they should be, like their predecessors had so they are lacking a real prison experience and so the inmates requested it on purpose to feel at least a little bit down after all the TV watching. Whatever version is true, all the people who are not in there should sit facing north when approaching East Acton.
Another way of sublime torture is already in the makings which will affect all prisons not just this one. They are considering giving the right to vote, so now they’ll face the gruesome sight of choosing between a liar, a prick or a shithead.  Nice.

romlas from Diabolus Dei on Vimeo.

No comments:

Post a Comment