Monday 4 July 2011

The first day of advent

Despite of what I've said yesterday about Sonisphere I am actually going nuts with excitement. There will be some bands there that I know and I love for 20 years. Back then it never crossed my mind  that I would have the possibility to see them live. 

I didn't know much about the bands, sometimes just the name, sometimes I didn't even know that. There was no additional layer like fame, money, collective appraisal to blur my ears; it was only the music. Come to think of it, this is the best way to approach music, I mean, how many people would have bought the St.Anger album if it wasn't for the Metallica name on it? Anyway, back then I thought that Metallica was a German band because of Lars's name, when I've found out his name that is. All the albums were pirated, there were no original tapes available. Sometimes they left out a couple of songs from the record - in a lack of space I presume. In other cases, when an album was too short they completed it with something else. This way my Master of puppets copy contained a Judas Priest song and the Ride the lightning a Megadeth song. Can you imagine it, Megadave on the same tape with Hetfield and the other guys. I know that nowadays there is a - seemingly - great friendship between them but back then there wasn't much love lost between them.
And at the end of this week they all are going to line up nicely for us to enjoy. Besides these old favourites there will be some new titans as well so I am really looking forward to these three days. Actually I'm dreading it, we have a history of missing out from this sort of events, I can only hope that yesterday is dead and gone.

No comments:

Post a Comment